I think the next fandom trend should be combining stock AUs. Imagine!:
- Cops AU plus Hogwarts AU equals Wizard Buddy Cops, subtext, and as many wand jokes as you can make
- A high school AU, only it’s high school in the future featuring space station hijinks and/or alien invasion, mixed in with serious concerns about who’s going with who to prom
- The coffee shop AU, liberally spiced up with interactions with a mirror world where the heroes become the villains and vice versa—and can the adorably dorky new barista figure out how to make the perfect latte art and keep her girlfriend from falling in love with her eviler, sexier doppelganger?
- Noir detective pirate AU, and the difficulties of solving gritty crime on the high seas
- Vampire Western AU, and the challenges of cattle rustling on the sunny plains of the wild west, and making sure that none of those damned suckers take out any of pa’s herd again!
- Prohibition-era speakeasy AU with fairy tale AU featuring the complications of being secretly magical and smuggling when you can’t actually lie
- Okay, coffee shop AU + ANYTHING is hilarious to me
- Regency coffee shop AU
- Vampire coffee shop AU (BARTENDING IN THE DARK)
- Gym rat vampire AU—getting pumped and drinking blood
- Mermaid college AU
oh gosh yes
- space pirates AU
- Regency superhero AU
- coffee shop dystopian AU
- 1940s fairy tale AU
- Western AU + aliens
- high school AU + smuggling
- space AU + domestic, first apartment, etc
- Hogwarts AU + struggling musicians
Send me a fandom (pairing optional) and one of these AUs and I will write it. Dead serious.